Monday, March 11, 2013

Just Wondering

Today marks the one year anniversary of the day I became an AvGeek. On the morning of March 11th a year ago I had no interest in aviation whatsoever. Planes were just a fact of my life living under the approach path of Dulles airport's runway 1R that I had learned to ignore. I didn't care about liveries or aircraft types or airlines, until that afternoon. I just happened to look up as what I now know to be a United 777 passed overhead and wondered to myself where that flight came from. So I downloaded planefinder and a whole world opened up for me. Thousands of flights all over the world instantly at my fingertips. And so an interest that would eventually turn into a passion was born.

I should probably have introduced myself. I'm Jonathan Holt, a 16 year old AvGeek living under the final approach path of Washington Dulles' runway 1R who happens to want to start his own airline. Jet noise has been a part of my life since the day I was born, so much so that I wouldn't hear a thing if a plane passed overhead, I was so used to the noise. When I discovered planefinder, not only did it reveal a whole new world and a new interest, but also a whole new niche community, that I've now snuggled myself into nicely. Whether it be on twitter or blogs, I'm always interacting and soaking up as much information as I can. But I'm still learning.

Therefore, on the one year anniversary of the day I discovered the wonders of aviation, I will be starting a blog myself to disseminate information myself, rather than just soak up postings of others. The purpose of this blog is to not only express my opinions on whatever may be going on across the industry, but also to keep the world updated on what's going on at the international airport at the political center of the free world, Washington Dulles International.

Share This