Monday, May 27, 2013

The Toy Airport Set

Looking back, there have been so many things in my life that could have kickstarted a lifelong interest in aviation. For one thing, I had planes fly over my house every day, and still no interest was sparked until I was 15. My dad used to take annual business trips to Frankfurt and the whole family would go pick him up at the airport, and still no interest. I only flew for the first time when I was 8. But my favorite missed opportunity, if thats what you want to call it, was my toy airport set.

When I was about 5, I had a little toy airport set complete with a control tower, "gates", and planes. It even had little baggage trucks with the AA logo on the side. I had three little model planes, and although I don't remember the type, I do remember that there was an American, a Continental, and a Northwest jet. I would play with the set all the time, but somehow the fun never translated to the real ones. Only now, being an AvGeek, do I really wish I had it. But, of course, as with most of the toys I loved as a kid, I have no idea where it is.

I've come to realize that almost everyone has a favorite or cherished aviation related memory from when they were young. Maybe it's seeing a special plane fly overhead, or visiting an air and space museum. Maybe it's a first flight or a favorite toy. What sparked your inner AvGeek? Maybe the memorable event happened after you became an aviation enthusiast. Leave a comment below and tell your story of what fueled your interest in aviation.

Share This